Here are two more eye-popping images of #HurricaneMichael seen from #GOESEast today. Left image shows the Cat. 4… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…—
NOAA Satellites (@NOAASatellites) October 10, 2018
- Russia, Ukraine, the UN and NATO
- Russia, Ukraine & the NATO Empire
- A Primer on Ukraine, Russia, and the Western Empire
- A PSA from the Lawyers Committee for a 9/11 Inquiry
- God…in Pencil
- P5 Nations Foreswear Nuclear War
- ‘Iran threatens nuclear explosion in Israel’s Dimona facility’
- a PSA on the JCPOA talks in Vienna
- The epic evil of the Vault 7 CIA hacking tools
- ‘US wins Assange extradition appeal’
- Russia Calls For Agreements to Prevent Expanding NATO Eastward
- Carl Jung on Dreams & Symbols
- US Peace Prize Awarded To World BEYOND War
- a 2021 National Lampoon! ; )
- Day One of the US Appeal for Assange’s Extradition Hearing
- Spices as Medicines
- ‘Thousands of Police Killings Are Unreported’
- How big corporations & Bill Gates took over the UN food Summit
- John Durham Reappears, but his Investigation Isn’t Over
- Paul Street Satirizes Glenn Greenwald & AOC ; )
- Look Out Detroit; the WEF Is Comin’ to Transform the Motor City
- Russia Stole Crimea
- A few Tweets from club de cordeliers to Consider
- Nanci Griffith (July 6, 1953 – August 13, 2021): RIP
- Woot! Socialist Solidarity via KawsachunNews
- #BaltimoreUprising evolution storify #Black August #BreakTheCurfew Oakland #Caravana43 protesting the disappeared Ayotzinapa students #HandsOffBolivia #hands off iran #HandsOffSyria #MarchAgainstMonsanto 2015 #MillionMomsMarch #NativeLivesMatter and other indigenous news #NoDapl #SaayHerName #TreasonSummit Afro Blue Albuquerque People’s Tribunal on Police Brutality A message from Leonard Peltier on the Occasion of his 71st Birthday and the Hideous Majority black community control of police Black is Back Black Community policing conference bob Urie Brother Cornell West Published in the Smithsonian Magazine cia vault 7 Citizens Report: 'Targeted: Prejudice and Racial Bias in the Albuquerque Police Department’ Closing arguments in the trial of LAPD officer Mary O'Callaghan coup against nicolas maduro David Correia Delphi Declaration on Greece and Europe Disarm the NYPD Coalition dont't extradite assange! F*cking the Haitian 99%: Another Clinton Family Project Franklin Graham Freddie Gray beaten to death by BPD Free Julian Assange Glen Ford HandsOffIran! Hilarious Disconnect: White Liberals for Sanders Telling #BLM Activists What to Do ILWU May Day Oakland Port Shutdowns Jasmine Richards #BLM protestor charged with terrorism jr. Late Summer Police Stories: the Potentially Good Magna Carta at 800 May 2 #BlackSpring/#Baltimore Rising Medicaid clawbacks meta Neill Franklin 'Purge the Baltimore PD from within' New Pentagon “Law of War” Manual Novichok™ Obama declares Venezuela "an extraordinary threat to US national security" Obama Reiterates Enthusiastic Support for Legalizing MMJ oh yes Omali Yeshitalaya Orange Lady Preliminary Hearing of APD Cops Sandy and Perez in the Execution of James Boyd; Pt. I; a Storify Red Nation march on Gallup NM against violence and racism Respectability Politics Won’t Cut It Now. Did They Ever? Rest in Peace and Paint Dear Antonio Ramos Reverend William E. Alberts San Carlos Apaches’ Oak Flats Sovereign Spirituality Stolen by John McCain & Friends satire Save the Post Office Seventy Years Ago This Week: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Shorter skripals Spain's new fascist 'gag rule' STRATCOM as per Russia/Syria-Ukraine test post the Apostle of Hatred the Bad The Crescent City 10 Years after the Levees Failed TransDayOfVisibility Tsipras/Syriza pull it out WEF 2020 Zawinul ‘Cultural Palynology’ by Barbara Grothus Featured at the ‘Visualizing Albuquerque’ Exhibit ‘The Red Nation’ and Allies to Demand ABQ Abolish Columbus Day
i popped into MSDNC yesterday for the 1st time in ages to see what could be seen of Hurricane Michael’s aftermath. a drone flying while filming over a dead city, not even a dog moving. I thought maybe i saw Wall E but not sure. what of this society will endure? nothing. look at the rubble at Mexico Beach. everything we build is junk. we don’t even consider building anything to last beyond a generation, not right now. and stuff we do build to “last” is probably better not being built, like dams, nuclear reactors, pipelines, etc. under capitalism’s creative destruction, homes, office buildings, malls, etc., were all going to disappear into one of our ever-expanding landfills anyway, so Michael is really lending a hand.
for differing reasons, past imperial leaders generally felt obligated to monumentalize themselves in various ways, esp their rule as expressing the “mandate of heaven” in some sense. hello pyramids. the endurance of a ruler’s art & architecture was to be a testament to the wisdom & beneficence of the ruler. a Julius Caesar and many, many another conqueror walked into Thebes or Alexandria or Luxor and was stirred to competitive rivalry at the greatness they saw (they also just stole things too; e.g., Cleopatra’s pyramidal needles, the basis for the Washington Monument. not denying that all of this involved a lot of killing, plundering, slavery, etc.) In our society, our monumental buildings generally are reserved for the government. Yes, I know there are libraries & performance halls & museums, some quite impressive, in our larger cities, but in every hill & dale in this country, gov’t buildings, the courthouses especially, the temples of justice, offer the only monumental testimony to the “wisdom” of our political leaders. almost everything else is garbage. except maybe our prisons.
the state religion served as a kind of “technology” for interpreting the will of the gods & propitiating the heavens in time of crisis & disaster. what techniques, what tricks, what pseudo-pious flimflam will our state religion offer for Michael? hmmm…more strident calls for even more gaudy offerings to our national deity, Techne, technology? more hyper-processed garbage from more & more complex processes? yeah, that’ll fix it.
you left out towering stone edifices such as churches and cathedrals, as well, some taking masons generations to build, literally. some garganutan stone bridge spans as well; simply breath-taking in their architecture and creation, although labor was cheap, wasn’t it?
gulf gal over yonder was incredibly helpful explaining gulf hurricanes, as she’d been thru many, and knew the answers to so many questions. she’d know many of the hardest hit areas in florida, and as to mexico city, said that most of the dwellings were old florida, meaning before laws mandating they be built on piles, and that yes, only wealthy would buy the properties and build mcmansions on them.
now high rises had begun to be constructed to bend a bit, more like bamboo, in order to withstand such high winds, but i dunno where that’s so. but still, hospitals had windows blown to smithereens, patients evacuated. some local coverage had rick scott saying that people who’d been ordered to evacuate and *chose to stay* were on their own.
how about all those who were too poor or disabled to evacuate, rick? but one thing’s for certain: the grifters are already on the loose and those areas will look like haiti (another clinton fucks all but the 1% family project) and new orleans, eh? more shock doctrine capitalism ahead for too many. i just saw on twitter that the gov of haiti just appointed sean penn to be ambassador at large. jayzus, star power; gotta love it. was he the star who ran for gov there some years back, and got trounced?
18 confirmed dead now, and while there are any reports as to ‘hope wanes in search for survivor, not one said how many have been reported missing. but in any event, it was an epic storm in several categories.
most of those churches are crap too. I helped open one of these places up recently, remember? the contractors screwed up the design of the gigantic glass windows at the front of the auditorium, in the middle of winter they put the drywall in everywhere before they put the windows in, so the drywall constantly peels & warps, and they screwed up the installation of the fire panel & emergency annunciator. this is stuff that was discovered in just the 1st two months after the building opened. can’t remember how many leaks we had, it was a few, but we had a major backup spew into the reception area during the sanctuary dedication service, 275 effervescent guests present with something stinky bubbling up thru the kitchen floor drain. dignitaries and doo doo, seems appropriate in hindsight. what a scandal if the mother superior archbishoprick’s robes dipped in the poopy.
but yeah, I was overgeneralizing as is my wont. America’s kitchiest place, “south of the border” ain’t going nowhere. (ok, I didn’t double check that.)
pictures & worthless comments here
well i was speaking of stone edifices, but you’re talking stick-built, so there’s that… many builders are contracted to build christ-burgers, as i used to call one in boulder, because: low bids, but sometimes you actually do get what you (don’t) pay for. mr. wd used to get hired to fix the abominable mistake of other contractors. one of that sort sold his house, and the new owners ended up tearing the whole mess down.
and crap done on the cheap will always fail, including foundations and concrete pads not even up to (wink, wink) the most basic (if not illegal) building code standards.
the vid wouldn’t play. flashplayer out of date? pffft.
well san fran wasn’t exactly leveled in that big quake circa ’90 that we all saw on the MLB World Series, was it? pinkos do exaggerate the rubble, don’t we? I mean, how many people have actually laid eyeballs on those archipelagos of trash in the Pacific? and don’t even try it w/all the new piles of ruins in Syria! that’s just crazy talk. they got ruins going back millennia there!
well now you’re goin’ pretty far afield with quakes and bombings, but yes, very funny. but you saw the SF during the world series? but the infrastructure in the good ol’ usa would take trillions to upgrade to any safety standards reports said a decade ago.
but aha! we the rabble have seen videos of plastic garbage patches? or were they faked like the moon landing ones?