- War Criminal Elliott Abrams Tapped as the US Special Envoy to Iran
- More Hellacious News for the PO & Voting by Mail
- Our Rulers Flip the Rabble Classes another Bird
- X Rebellion scientists v Jem Bendel’s Deep Adaptation
- Not a Bedtime Story: Part III (a sunday vignette)
- grim post office news & a PSA
- Epic Hypocrisy by Tweet
- Not a Bedtime Story: Pt II (a sunday vignette)
- a PSA: Judge releases new body-cam footage in the murder of George Floyd
- Can Bolivians Survive the Coup Regime?
- Not a Bedtime Story: Pt. I (a vignette)
- AMLO Meets with Trump in D.C.
- US Congress: Out to Lunch from July 3 to July 20
- On this 4th of July, 2020
- the CIA Times as > than Hearst News Yellow Journalism
- the 1919 Red Summer race riots horrors
- SCOTUS Votes 7-2 Against Due Process for Asylum Seekers
- Julian Assange Charged yesterday in Surreal ‘Superceding Indictment’
- ‘The Tulsa Race Riot and Three of Its Victims’ by B.C. Franklin; an eyewitness account
- LA cops murder another kid
- CIA Incompetence Led to WikiLeaks’ Vault 7 Publications
- the term ‘Race’ as an obscuring misnomer: Pt. I
- Co-optation by Kente Cloth
- white male arrested in the burning of Precinct 3
- Global Civil Rights 2020 News
- Greyson Smythe
- #BaltimoreUprising evolution storify #Black August #BreakTheCurfew Oakland #Caravana43 protesting the disappeared Ayotzinapa students #Fight for 15 International Today in 270 cities #HandsOffBolivia #hands off iran #HandsOffSyria #MarchAgainstMonsanto 2015 #MillionMomsMarch #NativeLivesMatter and other indigenous news #NoDapl #SaayHerName #TreasonSummit Afro Blue Albuquerque People’s Tribunal on Police Brutality A message from Leonard Peltier on the Occasion of his 71st Birthday and the Hideous Majority Anonymous Million Mask March Flashmobs Today black community control of police Black is Back Black Community policing conference bob Urie Brother Cornell West Published in the Smithsonian Magazine Citizens Report: 'Targeted: Prejudice and Racial Bias in the Albuquerque Police Department’ Closing arguments in the trial of LAPD officer Mary O'Callaghan coup against nicolas maduro David Correia Delphi Declaration on Greece and Europe DHS Is Paying Students to Spy on Classmates in the Name of Safer Schools for Some™ Disarm the NYPD Coalition dont't extradite assange! F*cking the Haitian 99%: Another Clinton Family Project Franklin Graham Freddie Gray beaten to death by BPD Free Julian Assange Glen Ford HandsOffIran! Hilarious Disconnect: White Liberals for Sanders Telling #BLM Activists What to Do ILWU May Day Oakland Port Shutdowns Jasmine Richards #BLM protestor charged with terrorism Late Summer Police Stories: the Potentially Good Magna Carta at 800 May 2 #BlackSpring/#Baltimore Rising Medicaid clawbacks meta Neill Franklin 'Purge the Baltimore PD from within' New Pentagon “Law of War” Manual Novichok™ Obama declares Venezuela "an extraordinary threat to US national security" Obama Reiterates Enthusiastic Support for Legalizing MMJ oh yes Omali Yeshitalaya Orange Lady Preliminary Hearing of APD Cops Sandy and Perez in the Execution of James Boyd; Pt. I; a Storify Public Citizen's Press Release on the TPP 99% Race to the Bottom Red Nation march on Gallup NM against violence and racism Respectability Politics Won’t Cut It Now. Did They Ever? Rest in Peace and Paint Dear Antonio Ramos Reverend William E. Alberts San Carlos Apaches’ Oak Flats Sovereign Spirituality Stolen by John McCain & Friends satire Seventy Years Ago This Week: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Shorter skripals Spain's new fascist 'gag rule' STRATCOM as per Russia/Syria-Ukraine test post the Apostle of Hatred the Bad The Crescent City 10 Years after the Levees Failed TransDayOfVisibility Tsipras/Syriza pull it out Zawinul ‘Cultural Palynology’ by Barbara Grothus Featured at the ‘Visualizing Albuquerque’ Exhibit ‘The Red Nation’ and Allies to Demand ABQ Abolish Columbus Day
Category Archives: police state
‘Police body camera footage of George Floyd murder released’, Kevin Martinez, wsws.org, 17 July 2020 (w/ permission)
“On Wednesday, a Hennepin County Judge allowed the public to view new video evidence in the May 25 police murder of George Floyd involving four Minneapolis, Minnesota police officers. According to various news outlets, the footage does not show Floyd acting aggressively toward officers or threatening them.
The footage comes from body cameras worn by officers Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, and shows officer Derek Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck for nine and a half minutes, a minute more than previously thought. Floyd struggled to breathe, and said “please” to officers 50 times before he died.
From Jacob Crosse, 22 June 2020, wsws.org, part of a much longer column:
“In Los Angeles, a rally for the recently murdered Andres Guardado exceeded expectations with thousands participating Sunday afternoon. The march began at 1 p.m. with roughly 100 people, but by the time the march reached the front of the Los Angeles County Compton Sheriff’s (LASD) office, which was surrounded by riot police, the crowd had swelled into the thousands.
It has been over 72 hours since police gunned down the 18-year-old Guardado, who was working as a security guard at the Freeway auto body shop located on the 400 block of Redondo Beach Blvd. According to Captain Kent Wegener of the LASD, deputies were “observing Guardado,” who allegedly spotted the deputies looking at him. Upon seeing the police, Guardado supposedly “produced a gun” before running away from the police. Wegener stated that after a short foot-pursuit an as-yet unnamed deputy “fired six shots” into Guardado, killing him. No deputies were injured.
‘St. Paul man arrested for burning down of Minneapolis police precinct’, kimt.com, June 8, 2020, (with a five image photo gallery including Wolfe’s photo and this one):
(Authorities say Wolfe identified himself as the shirtless figure with his arms raised)
‘The global protests and the fight against capitalism’, 8 June 2020, wsws.org
“Large demonstrations were held this weekend in London, Rome, Berlin, Vienna, Madrid, Paris, Lisbon, Warsaw and many other European cities. More than 12,000 people protested in front of the Norwegian parliament in Oslo on Friday. Protests were organized in Australia, India, Pakistan, Tunisia, and Mexico. Tens of thousands demonstrated across New Zealand last week.
An Op-ed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, May 30, 2020, LA Times (a few outtakes; my bolds)
“What do you see when you see angry black protesters amassing outside police stations with raised fists? If you’re white, you may be thinking, “They certainly aren’t social distancing.” Then you notice the black faces looting Target and you think, “Well, that just hurts their cause.” Then you see the police station on fire and you wag a finger saying, “That’s putting the cause backward.”
You’re not wrong — but you’re not right, either. The black community is used to the institutional racism inherent in education, the justice system and jobs. And even though we do all the conventional things to raise public and political awareness — write articulate and insightful pieces in the Atlantic, explain the continued devastation on CNN, support candidates who promise change — the needle hardly budges.
There are likely other reasons as well, especially psychological ones, including sociopathic levels of need for extreme control ‘the other’, even when ‘the other’ is the same color or ethnicity. Of course black cops kill other blacks, including unarmed ones, and as an honest black Chief of Police had said a decade ago: ‘When a cop zips on the uniform of the security state, he becomes what the Police Chief demands’. I wish I could remember his name; he’d not allowed his force to carry guns, and back then, it was working to cut down on actual crime .
Some background from my life:
I went to Kent State as an early admissions high school student in 1967 and 1968, where I stood in vigils against the war as we were photographed us from the roof a building next to the student union. We were a sure we had FBI files, but who knows? Paranoia strikes deep…
In 1968 I went to CU, Boulder, and when Nixon’s secret bombing of Cambodia was announced, at about noon the streets exploded with furious protestors: a motley crew, which included men and women in suits who’d walked off their jobs. The rage was palpable: fists punching the air, chants of various kinds. We marched to the city/county building, but to what effect? None, really, save maybe a photo-op? Later a Student Strike was called, and some of us later occupied a few seemingly relevant buildings (admin?; I’ve forgotten), but no one seemed to care. No arrests, no notice, no nothing. We all went home just before dawn feelin’ a bit let down, maybe even…silly.
Or: Will there be a post-coronavirus world or more of the same?
Some of our rights are ceded willingly, if reluctantly due to the intensity of the pandemic panic; others are more covertly arranged. My last post demonstrating our disappearing rights was global, but included for the US:
InJustice Department has quietly asked Congress to suspend habeas corpus, as in: ‘Let them rot in jail until we have the time for trials’.
Back in April and May of this year, a group of as many as 50 people calling themselves the Embassy Protection Collective had been occupying the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington, D.C. in order to keep the many supporters of Juan Guido out of it. The group had the support and encouragement of VZ President Nicolas Maduro to do so.
A number of people, among them Blumenthal brought food, medicine, sanitary supplies, and so on they’d toss up into open windows, in aid of breaking the siege of Guaido supporters trying to starve them out of the embassy.
(the full transcript is here)
@CharlieMBrownX “Armed pigs paid #SpikeLee $200,000 to calm Black people down at the same damn time he was supposedly speaking out against their corruption & brutality.” #Copaganda
See, what the Police actually need is more power, more protection, and in May, many House Dems, including progressive D luminaries as Luis Gutierrez, Raul Grijalva and Keith Ellison handed it to them more in the Serve and Protect Act, passed by an overwhelming majority in May.
(Or: how many sadistic sociopaths can dance on the head of a pin?)
From Patrick Martin at wsws.org June 22: ‘US court documents reveal Immigrant children tied down, hooded, beaten, stripped and drugged’
“Court documents made public in Virginia and Texas give a glimpse of the systematic brutality being meted out to immigrant children in both public and private jails. Children are strapped down, hooded and beaten, or drugged by force, as part of the everyday procedure in what can only be called the American Gulag.