- ‘cocked and loaded to retaliate; 10 mins. before the strike I stopped it’
- SIPRI: Israel has close to 100 nuclear warheads
- Epic Insanity: US is preparing to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities?
- victory for enbridge line 3 water protectors in minnesota
- genocidaire Narendra Modi wins 5 more years in a landslide victory
- US makes formal request for Julian Assange’s extradition
- #BLM founder launches major project to shrink black lives
- who was lying about Dead Ducks: gina haspel, julian barnes or MI6?
- abandon all hope of Australia or the UK helping Julian Assange
- Mike Pence proclaiming Imperial Global War, Inc.™
- Who Shot Down Flight MH17 over Eastern Ukraine in 2014?
- the Pope says abortion is like ‘hiring a hitman’
- 287 New Snowden Docs !!?
- analyses of the leaked ‘Deal of the Century’ I/P peace plan
- Pentagon: Iran’s revolutionary guards behind ship sabotage off UAE coast as Abu Dhabi Mum
- open menu
- Jeez, amy goodman; again with the White Helmets propaganda?
- Palestinian Resistance
- who’s in charge of this loose cannon of a (waning) empire?
- Leaked Report: Douma Chemical Attack Likely Staged
- Saber-rattling against Iran hits a ferocious level
- is Julian Assange being chemically tortured?
- Trump floats proposal to cancel 2020 elections
- jeezum crow; time to head back to VZ…& Iran…& China again?
- Greyson Smythe
- #BaltimoreUprising evolution storify #Black August #BreakTheCurfew Oakland #Caravana43 protesting the disappeared Ayotzinapa students #Fight for 15 International Today in 270 cities #HandsOffSyria #MarchAgainstMonsanto 2015 #MillionMomsMarch #NativeLivesMatter and other indigenous news #NoDapl #SaayHerName #TreasonSummit Afro Blue Albuquerque People’s Tribunal on Police Brutality A message from Leonard Peltier on the Occasion of his 71st Birthday and the Hideous Majority Anonymous Million Mask March Flashmobs Today Antiwar black community control of police Black is Back Black Community policing conference bob Urie Brother Cornell West Published in the Smithsonian Magazine Citizens Report: 'Targeted: Prejudice and Racial Bias in the Albuquerque Police Department’ Climate Change Tipping Point Realities v. COP21 Paris Part II Closing arguments in the trial of LAPD officer Mary O'Callaghan coup against nicolas maduro Dahr Jamail via Truthout David Correia Delphi Declaration on Greece and Europe Democracy DHS Is Paying Students to Spy on Classmates in the Name of Safer Schools for Some™ Disarm the NYPD Coalition F*cking the Haitian 99%: Another Clinton Family Project Franklin Graham Freddie Gray beaten to death by BPD Glen Ford Hilarious Disconnect: White Liberals for Sanders Telling #BLM Activists What to Do ILWU May Day Oakland Port Shutdowns Jasmine Richards #BLM protestor charged with terrorism Late Summer Police Stories: the Potentially Good Magna Carta at 800 May 2 #BlackSpring/#Baltimore Rising Medicaid clawbacks meta Neill Franklin 'Purge the Baltimore PD from within' New Pentagon “Law of War” Manual Novichok™ Obama declares Venezuela "an extraordinary threat to US national security" Obama Reiterates Enthusiastic Support for Legalizing MMJ oh yes Omali Yeshitalaya Orange Lady Preliminary Hearing of APD Cops Sandy and Perez in the Execution of James Boyd; Pt. I; a Storify Public Citizen's Press Release on the TPP 99% Race to the Bottom Red Nation march on Gallup NM against violence and racism Respectability Politics Won’t Cut It Now. Did They Ever? Rest in Peace and Paint Dear Antonio Ramos Reverend William E. Alberts San Carlos Apaches’ Oak Flats Sovereign Spirituality Stolen by John McCain & Friends satire Seventy Years Ago This Week: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Shorter Spain's new fascist 'gag rule' STRATCOM as per Russia/Syria-Ukraine test post the Apostle of Hatred the Bad The Crescent City 10 Years after the Levees Failed Three Headlines and a Tweet Sum Up the Empire’s Response to ‘Paris’ TransDayOfVisibility Tsipras/Syriza pull it out War Zawinul ‘Cultural Palynology’ by Barbara Grothus Featured at the ‘Visualizing Albuquerque’ Exhibit ‘The Red Nation’ and Allies to Demand ABQ Abolish Columbus Day
Category Archives: spiritual/metaphysical
(venus as the morning star rising with la luna bella)
Continue reading →
This is the day that the Lord has made;
Let us rejoice in it, and be glad.
Today Paul is telling the Christians in Corinth that he serves Christ, and the following struck me, after recently watching ‘The Ciderhouse Rules’ with its intertwined messages about abortion and possible suicide, as well as redemptive selfsacrifice :-
Paul says to the Christian Corinthians:
You are kings…
which the doctor in The Ciderhouse Rules echoes with his
“Goodnight, you kings of New England, you princes of Maine!”
I may have that messed up, apologies for a faulty memory. But I love that message in general; we do love that message to the children, as they chuckle in their beds.
Paul contrasts the apostolic role to that of the ordinary person, saying about the former:
…we have become, and are now, as the refuse of the world, the offscouring of all things.
Such is the deeply felt position of all true leaders, all prophets, all saints, all true heroes even of our latter times. It is the burden they carry, as does the doctor in the movie, and in the end, the father who has sinned greatly as well – a burden some souls in our time find too impossibly great and to our sorrow they are taken from us long before we are ready to say goodbye.
I have just finished my first reading of this last novel by Peter Matthiessen, and I came online to see what others found and experienced in reading this powerful book. Most of what I found tells well the subject matter and impact – best described in the various summaries of the work.
What I did not find, and missed not finding it, was a discussion of the questions raised and answers given. Most reviews seemed to feel the novel gives no answers, and certainly it has that effect upon one in the last pages where one would expect an answer to be found. But it is a truly beautiful work, and I think it a great shame that the internet seems not to contain, at least so far, meaningful discussion of what it might mean – most reviews found it a stark though compelling compilation of the frailties of the human character and the inadequacy of religion to address such frailties in any meaningful way. While these are indeed subjects within the text, I find so much more therein that none of the reviews I have found so far have adequately addressed.
I am beginning my second reading. It is not a long novel – can be read in one night really. On this forum we’ve discussed many of the issues raised, and they are harsh issues indeed. To begin with, have a look at ‘Lady with an Ermine’.
The novel begins and ends with this Leonardo Da Vinci painting.
As I explore it for the second time, I would so love to have company on this journey. It takes us into the mind and heart by means of a mindless, heartless place – Auschwitz. If that was not hell, then we do not know what hell is.
Come with me and see where we end up.
“Silence is the mother of prayer.”
[ – The Way of a Pilgrim; The Pilgrim Follows His Way]