- Trump issues covid relief executive orders
- War Criminal Elliott Abrams Tapped as the US Special Envoy to Iran
- More Hellacious News for the PO & Voting by Mail
- Our Rulers Flip the Rabble Classes another Bird
- X Rebellion scientists v Jem Bendel’s Deep Adaptation
- Not a Bedtime Story: Part III (a sunday vignette)
- grim post office news & a PSA
- Epic Hypocrisy by Tweet
- Not a Bedtime Story: Pt II (a sunday vignette)
- a PSA: Judge releases new body-cam footage in the murder of George Floyd
- Can Bolivians Survive the Coup Regime?
- Not a Bedtime Story: Pt. I (a vignette)
- AMLO Meets with Trump in D.C.
- US Congress: Out to Lunch from July 3 to July 20
- On this 4th of July, 2020
- the CIA Times as > than Hearst News Yellow Journalism
- the 1919 Red Summer race riots horrors
- SCOTUS Votes 7-2 Against Due Process for Asylum Seekers
- Julian Assange Charged yesterday in Surreal ‘Superceding Indictment’
- ‘The Tulsa Race Riot and Three of Its Victims’ by B.C. Franklin; an eyewitness account
- LA cops murder another kid
- CIA Incompetence Led to WikiLeaks’ Vault 7 Publications
- the term ‘Race’ as an obscuring misnomer: Pt. I
- Co-optation by Kente Cloth
- white male arrested in the burning of Precinct 3
- #BaltimoreUprising evolution storify #Black August #BreakTheCurfew Oakland #Caravana43 protesting the disappeared Ayotzinapa students #Fight for 15 International Today in 270 cities #HandsOffBolivia #hands off iran #HandsOffSyria #MarchAgainstMonsanto 2015 #MillionMomsMarch #NativeLivesMatter and other indigenous news #NoDapl #SaayHerName #TreasonSummit Afro Blue Albuquerque People’s Tribunal on Police Brutality A message from Leonard Peltier on the Occasion of his 71st Birthday and the Hideous Majority Anonymous Million Mask March Flashmobs Today black community control of police Black is Back Black Community policing conference bob Urie Brother Cornell West Published in the Smithsonian Magazine Citizens Report: 'Targeted: Prejudice and Racial Bias in the Albuquerque Police Department’ Closing arguments in the trial of LAPD officer Mary O'Callaghan coup against nicolas maduro David Correia Delphi Declaration on Greece and Europe DHS Is Paying Students to Spy on Classmates in the Name of Safer Schools for Some™ Disarm the NYPD Coalition dont't extradite assange! F*cking the Haitian 99%: Another Clinton Family Project Franklin Graham Freddie Gray beaten to death by BPD Free Julian Assange Glen Ford HandsOffIran! Hilarious Disconnect: White Liberals for Sanders Telling #BLM Activists What to Do ILWU May Day Oakland Port Shutdowns Jasmine Richards #BLM protestor charged with terrorism Late Summer Police Stories: the Potentially Good Magna Carta at 800 May 2 #BlackSpring/#Baltimore Rising Medicaid clawbacks meta Neill Franklin 'Purge the Baltimore PD from within' New Pentagon “Law of War” Manual Novichok™ Obama declares Venezuela "an extraordinary threat to US national security" Obama Reiterates Enthusiastic Support for Legalizing MMJ oh yes Omali Yeshitalaya Orange Lady Preliminary Hearing of APD Cops Sandy and Perez in the Execution of James Boyd; Pt. I; a Storify Public Citizen's Press Release on the TPP 99% Race to the Bottom Red Nation march on Gallup NM against violence and racism Respectability Politics Won’t Cut It Now. Did They Ever? Rest in Peace and Paint Dear Antonio Ramos Reverend William E. Alberts San Carlos Apaches’ Oak Flats Sovereign Spirituality Stolen by John McCain & Friends satire Seventy Years Ago This Week: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Shorter skripals Spain's new fascist 'gag rule' STRATCOM as per Russia/Syria-Ukraine test post the Apostle of Hatred the Bad The Crescent City 10 Years after the Levees Failed TransDayOfVisibility Tsipras/Syriza pull it out Zawinul ‘Cultural Palynology’ by Barbara Grothus Featured at the ‘Visualizing Albuquerque’ Exhibit ‘The Red Nation’ and Allies to Demand ABQ Abolish Columbus Day
Author Archives: wendyedavis
Note: The announcement comes on the day marking 75 years since the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
From Iranian FM Javad Zarif, August 6: @JZarif
‘75 years ago today, the US gained the infamy of becoming the 1st and ONLY user of nuclear weapons. And against innocents. Today, US & Israeli nukes threaten our region. It’s long overdue to end nuclear nightmare & the #MAD doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction.’
Keep in mind that he and President Rouhani have stated unequivocally and repeatedly: ‘Nuclear Weapons are forbidden by our religion’. But Western Powers and media refuse to believe it, and have for a long time. Apparently at Bibi’s urging, the Pentagon under Shrub Bush had stocked up on bunker-busting bombs to use on various ‘underground’ nuclear facilities in Iran.
(a companion piece is this July 25, 2020 ‘Grim News’ that contains a lot of the history of privatization attempts, mass numbers of PO closures, suggestions by Save the Post Office, etc.)
First up: ‘Who decides the fate of the US Postal Service?’ Kayla Costa and Shuvu Batta, 4 August 2020, wsws.org (with permission)
“Workers have responded with outrage to the recent leaked memos detailing efforts to privatize the United States Postal Service (USPS) by implementing major cost-cutting measures, slowing down the mail delivery speed, and making the federal agency seem unreliable in the middle of an election year that will see an increase of mail-in voting due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The internal memo, released July 10, stated that mail deliveries would be delayed due to cost-cutting and prohibitions on overtime, with “more to come.”
‘Inhumane at Any Time,’ But During a Pandemic? House Approval of $740 Billion Pentagon Budget Condemned; “Once again, the House has voted to put the interests of weapons manufacturers and war hawks over the wellbeing of people here and abroad;; commondreamsorg, Eowin Higgins, July 31,2020 (Creative Commons)
“Win Without War was among the anti-war voices on Friday issuing blistering condemnations of the passage in the U.S. House of a $740 billion defense bill as part of the 2021 Appropriations Minibus.
for your consideration….
Excerpts from Robert Hunziker’s July 17, 2020 ‘The Sky Is Falling – Yes – No’, counterpunch.org
“The sky is falling is one of the more disturbing thoughts in society today, as to whether climate change is on a fast track collision course with doomsday amidst a collapsing society.
In that regard, according to the details of a scathing review by ScientistsWarning.org (“SW”) of Jem Bendell’s wildly popular “Deep Adaptation” the answer is no, not yet. Society is not ready to keel over, as postulated in Bendell’s paper.
I’d been building balconies for faux-Tyrolean apartments in Breckenridge, Colorado, and once they were finished, my now-husband, our dog Lincoln and I embarked on a hitch-hiking odyssey. We first headed to Poland, Ohio to visit my mother, and to and ‘do something’ with my dad’s cremated remains. No one seemed to want to touch them; God knows why.
We drove to our old stomping-grounds near Kent; Twin Lakes really, walked to his favorite golf hole, and sprinkled his ashes and bone fragments at the edge of the fairway. Looking up, a huge, smiling papa-face filled my sky-mind; I imagined everyone could see his radiant smile as it seemed to fill the sky. Bye, pop; God, I love you. I do so wish you hadn’t been the sole child of such rotten parents; how different your life would have been.
‘US Postal Service takes major step toward privatization’, Shuvu Batta, 22 July 2020, wsws.org
“Management at the United States Postal Service (USPS) has taken a big step toward privatization with the July 10 release of an internal memo stating that mail deliveries would be delayed due to cost cutting and a subsequent directive prohibiting overtime and promising “more to come.”
I went to visit my mother in the St. Joseph’s mental ward as often as I could, and met most of her fellow inmates in the commons area. Lady had taken on the informal role of ‘social worker’, a job she’d had for the county for a few years in Ohio.
Occupational therapy was the clay-ashtrays, potholders and leather-craft sort, and my mum wanted to make me some moccasins, much more preferable to a popsicle-stick jewelry box. We decided on the size, and over a couple weeks she finished them. They were the Tandy Leather Kit kind, remember them? Split-leather suede that tied just below the ankle, with three inches of machine-cut fringe around the collar; no hard sole, just the same suede—you could curl your toes in them. They were grand and pathetic all at once, and I loved them! And as it turned out, useful.
‘Police body camera footage of George Floyd murder released’, Kevin Martinez, wsws.org, 17 July 2020 (w/ permission)
“On Wednesday, a Hennepin County Judge allowed the public to view new video evidence in the May 25 police murder of George Floyd involving four Minneapolis, Minnesota police officers. According to various news outlets, the footage does not show Floyd acting aggressively toward officers or threatening them.
The footage comes from body cameras worn by officers Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, and shows officer Derek Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck for nine and a half minutes, a minute more than previously thought. Floyd struggled to breathe, and said “please” to officers 50 times before he died.
Lawfare in Bolivia: Añez wants to Jail the Favored Candidate in the Coming Elections’, resumen-english.org, Ernesto Reyes, June 30, 2020
“Bolivia’s de facto president, Jeanine Añez, is losing more and more of her mask obscuring democracy that, with the complicity of the United States and the European Union, she had to put on to justify the violent overthrow of Evo Morales in November of last year.
I was standing in the kitchen of a house in Boulder, Colorado, staring down at the letter on the counter, but no longer seeing it. The shock-waves in my mind seemed to come from the paper, and my eyes began to see planes of shadows and light, forms without meaning as the photons of sunlight coming through a nearby window rode the waves. They battered me and turned my brain to cellophane.
The letter that had arrived a few minutes earlier in the morning mail was from my mother, and it announced that by the time I got the letter, she would be dead. Dead. My mind careened with live-mother images from the past few weeks, months, years; then dead-mother flashes; I leaned on the counter to support my wobbly legs.
‘Lopez Obrador’s Visit to Trump is a Betrayal of the U.S. and Mexican People’, Laura Carlsen, July 8, 2020
“To praise a tyrant is to insult a people. López Obrador’s proposed visit to Washington is an insult to the American people, and especially to the 37 million Mexican migrants who live in the United States. The purpose of the state visit with Donald Trump on July 8 is to celebrate the entry into force of the Mexico-United States-Canada Treaty (T-MEC) on July 1. It comes at the worst possible time.
This is the pre-vacation Congressional Calendar according to the NAB: July: green, House, blue, Senate.
Now given that CongressCritters only earn a paltry $174,000 (and benefits) yearly, and swear not to enrich themselves while in office, we can easily understand while they may require some extra leisure time.
‘Rethinking the Fourth of July’, Bill Bigelow, Rethinking Schools curriculum editor, Zinn Education Project co-director, huff-po, July, 2014
“But the yahoo of fireworks also turns an immensely complicated time in U.S. history into a cartoon of miseducation. For example, check out Ray Raphael’s “Re-examining the Revolution“ at the Zinn Education Project, an article that every history teacher should read before wading into the events leading up to 1776. Raphael analyzed 22 elementary-school, middle-school, and high-school texts and found them filled with inaccuracies — some merely silly, but others leaving students with important misunderstandings about U.S. history and how social change does and does not happen.
‘The New York Times fabricates Russian murder plot’, 3 July 2020, Patrick Martin, wsws.org (w/permission to repost all content)
“Not since William Randolph Hearst cabled his correspondent in Havana in 1898 with the message, “You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war,” has a newspaper been so thoroughly identified with an effort to provoke an American war as the New York Times this week.
The difference—and there is a colossal one—is that Hearst was fanning the flames for the Spanish-American War, a comparatively minor conflict, the first venture by American imperialism to seize territory overseas, in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. The Times today is seeking to whip up a war fever directed against Russia, one that threatens to ignite a third world war fought with nuclear weapons.” [snip]
White children cheer outside an African-American residence that they have set on fire. © Getty Images
As I’d been reading and collecting links and quotes toward a post on ‘the Revolutionary possibilities of Civil Rights 2020’, two authors had mentioned ‘Red Summer’, as well as the bombing and burning of Black Wall Street in Greenwood, OK as historically analagous to 2020, or at least: past as prelude. And the following day, Up Jumped the Devil.
As Dickens seems to have borrowed heavily from ‘Red Summer’ at National Geographic, I’ll paste in a bit past Fair Use rules. To me it seems the depraved barbarity at play that summer needs a stand-alone diary. Fair warning: the final photo below the dotted lines may give you nightmares.
A lot of the coverage of this decision was akin to: ‘SCOTUS Hands Trump Administration a Big Win on Immigration’, but they miss a lot; the following makes me think that the author may have been in the room. He also adds plenty of of historical context. No coverage contained what I’ve bolded first in London’s column. As I have permission to do so, I’ll paste in the whole gob-smacking lot of it. Good on Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan (the ‘2’), but you may remember that Obama appointee Kagan had helped gut long-standing Miranda Rights/Warning in 2010
‘US Supreme Court rules recent asylum seekers have no right to habeas corpus or due process’, Eric London, 26 June 2020
The US Dept. of Injustice press release actually names it a ‘Second Superceding Indictment’ in this June 24, 2020 Press Release: “WikiLeaks Founder Charged in Superseding Indictment:
New Allegations Assert Assange Conspired With “Anonymous” Affiliated Hackers, Among Others [including LulzSec]
A federal grand jury returned a second superseding indictment today charging Julian P. Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, with offenses that relate to Assange’s alleged role in one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States.
On magiamma’s June 11, 2020 Hot Air, she’d featured this testimonial of Kimberly Jones’ ‘How We Can Win’, in which she speaks so scathingly and eloquently of ‘Black Economics in America’, and mentions the burnings of Tulsa and Rosewood. She blasts: “you broke the contract when we built wealth in Tulsa and you dropped bombs on us! At the time, I was so blown away…that I hadn’t noticed ‘you dropped bombs on us!.