- Pierre Omidyar: A Dangerous Billionaire-Backer of the “Resistance”
- new moon open menu
- a psa: ‘Sept. 11th Legal Breakthrough’
- Luke Harding/Guardian-gate: the plot thickens
- Merry Christmas… Call the Police!
- asylum seekers & caravans at the mexican border
- thoughts on depression
- flip-city news from Ukraine & Crimea
- breaking news from Wikileaks on twitter
- Thanksgiving 2018 Messages
- a few ocasio tweets from my favorite tankie
- have you ever even heard of Gladio B?
- A Report from the DC Peace Congress
- US multinationals dodge $180 billion in taxes on foreign profits per year
- Two short films from ‘Dispatches from Resistant Mexico’
- ‘No More Anchor Babies’ yells Prez!
- Jair Bolsanaro Brazilian President Elect: OMG
- ‘Ecuador: Court Rejects WikiLeaks’ Assange Lawsuit Against Gov’t’
- Génocidaire Paul Kagame, Friend of the Empire
- #TridentJuncture: more NATO military aggression on Russia’s borders
- once upon a time we gave Peace a Chance
- open menu
- Whitney Webb’s ‘Edward Snowden to Address Select Audience in Israel: Will He Take On Israel’s Surveillance State?’
- an exposé of Pierre’s Intercept by the excellent Whitney Webb
- i’d stuck up a #HurricaneMichael diary at C99%
- Greyson Smythe
- #BaltimoreUprising evolution storify #Black August #BreakTheCurfew Oakland #Caravana43 protesting the disappeared Ayotzinapa students #Fight for 15 International Today in 270 cities #HandsOffSyria #MarchAgainstMonsanto 2015 #MillionMomsMarch #NativeLivesMatter and other indigenous news #NoDapl #SaayHerName Afro Blue Albuquerque People’s Tribunal on Police Brutality A message from Leonard Peltier on the Occasion of his 71st Birthday and the Hideous Majority Anonymous Million Mask March Flashmobs Today Antiwar black community control of police Black is Back Black Community policing conference bob Urie Brother Cornell West Published in the Smithsonian Magazine Citizens Report: 'Targeted: Prejudice and Racial Bias in the Albuquerque Police Department’ Climate Change Tipping Point Realities v. COP21 Paris Part II Closing arguments in the trial of LAPD officer Mary O'Callaghan Dahr Jamail via Truthout David Correia December According to Harry Shearer Delphi Declaration on Greece and Europe Democracy DHS Is Paying Students to Spy on Classmates in the Name of Safer Schools for Some™ Disarm the NYPD Coalition F*cking the Haitian 99%: Another Clinton Family Project Franklin Graham Freddie Gray beaten to death by BPD Glen Ford Hilarious Disconnect: White Liberals for Sanders Telling #BLM Activists What to Do ILWU May Day Oakland Port Shutdowns Jasmine Richards #BLM protestor charged with terrorism Late Summer Police Stories: the Potentially Good Magna Carta at 800 May 2 #BlackSpring/#Baltimore Rising Medicaid clawbacks meta Neill Franklin 'Purge the Baltimore PD from within' New Pentagon “Law of War” Manual Obama declares Venezuela "an extraordinary threat to US national security" Obama Reiterates Enthusiastic Support for Legalizing MMJ oh yes Omali Yeshitalaya Orange Lady pierre omidyar Preliminary Hearing of APD Cops Sandy and Perez in the Execution of James Boyd; Pt. I; a Storify Public Citizen's Press Release on the TPP 99% Race to the Bottom Red Nation march on Gallup NM against violence and racism Respectability Politics Won’t Cut It Now. Did They Ever? Rest in Peace and Paint Dear Antonio Ramos Reverend William E. Alberts San Carlos Apaches’ Oak Flats Sovereign Spirituality Stolen by John McCain & Friends satire Seventy Years Ago This Week: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Shorter Spain's new fascist 'gag rule' STRATCOM as per Russia/Syria-Ukraine test post the Apostle of Hatred the Bad The Crescent City 10 Years after the Levees Failed Three Headlines and a Tweet Sum Up the Empire’s Response to ‘Paris’ TransDayOfVisibility Tsipras/Syriza pull it out War Zawinul ‘Cultural Palynology’ by Barbara Grothus Featured at the ‘Visualizing Albuquerque’ Exhibit ‘The Red Nation’ and Allies to Demand ABQ Abolish Columbus Day ‘We Love Being Lakota’ short film
Category Archives: social unrest/nonviolent revolution
(nonviolent, of course, Mr. Brennan)
Yes, Banksy; what the world needs is a righteous, revolutionary, change of perspective. Collective mindfulness, if you will. That’s one kind of revolution Russell Brand’s calling for.
|By: wendydavis Tuesday August 23, 2011 11:03 am|
A related diary looked at the metrics of food and energy costs as a preconditions and/or predictors of civil unrest and revolution, different institutions having tracked the numbers as about 40% of total income per person and/or the population at large. Math can be useful as a predictor; most of us love charts and graphs that illustrate what we need to know to drive a point home.
But numbers and statistics can be sticky wickets, inaccurate models, leaving out the intangibles that may be even more causative drivers of events and major changes; these are far harder to track by their very nature. And yet, I’m about to give it a go, as absurd as it seems even to me. Up front I’ll admit to my belief that Americans just aren’t like other people; sorry for the bias, but…there it is.